Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Feminism, but in a good way.

Usually I’m not into that whole feminism scene. By that I mean, I support basic women’s rights like believing that every women should receive equal pay to men, but I don’t go overboard by trying to take the word man out of words. When reading Sacred Hoop, I was very astonished to see that women were once the majority leaders in the tribes. They held high positions and were allowed to cast votes. This all happened until Columbus settled in and his followers of Christianity broke the tradition. Now that I reflect on the discussion from Monday and readings from the book, women are always seen as the givers of life and always given the duties to take care of what they produce. I never knew their culture transformed into what society is today. Although there are some unconventional families and people in society, I just thought it was really cool when women were allowed to hold higher positions of authority than men.

No comments:

Post a Comment