Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"The Birchbark Series" Rundown

So for my final project, I have elected to read three books by Louise Erdrich. They are all centered around the Ojibwe Tribe and more precisely Omakayas and her family. Upon reading the first book,The Birchbark House, it is definintely more for the reader to recieve a general background about Omakayas and her life she has. She fun, spunky, and strong-willed but like all good stories there are also events that take place that can be life-alternating. The Game of Silence is the second book by Erdrich. I'm almost done reading it, but I feel like the book is just kind of dragging along, which really surprises me. From different reviews I have read, it seemed like out of all three it was the one that critcs and readers enjoyed the most. The third book, The Porcupine Year, is by far my favorite so far. I felt like the book was captivating and kept me interested the entire time. I really want Erdrich to continue with the last book b/c it begins Omakayas' journey into womanhood, especially since she is starting to fall for a young man.

No comments:

Post a Comment