Friday, April 17, 2009

Blog Read-Around2

Ryan G
I completely agree with you. I loved Driskill's collection but then read Harjo's and felt like it fell a little short. It didn't measure up to what I had expected. Perhaps, I had to high of expectations, but the overall feeling of complete boredness. In regards to the singing, Driskill has a much more captivating and intriguing poetry reading voice. When Harjo started singing her poetry, I got really turned off from it. I loved looking at the imagery and the background voice, but not hers.
Jennifer
When I was reading "Map of the Americas" the visual writing of the words forming continents created a vivid detailed experience. Upon turning the page, I actually had stopped reading to first look at the shape the poem had created. The poem is powerful on its own, but the added detial gives me a different experience reading it. Plus, I like it when poets step out of the box by doing artsy designs with their words.
James
I was really disturbed when I was reading that section. I also was aware of the nuclear testing on people, but the physical descriptions were so vivid. I couldn't imagine trying to live through that experience every day. Even though our Constitution is the governing body of the land, most people aren't educated enough (in law) to comprehend or understand that they could try to fix the problems they are constantly complaining about. Until humanity realizes the sounds existing their mouths are complaints and a change occurs, the government isn't going to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment