Monday, April 6, 2009

Walking With Ghosts

I loved loved loved the book of poems, Walking With Ghosts, by Qwo-Li Driskill. I felt like the writing was done without a censor. There were some controversial poems, poems that made me cringe, poems that made me sad. It was one of the most interesting book of poems I have ever been forced to read. There were dedications to friends that the author knows which were extremely moving especially the one to Marsha P. (Pay It No Mind) Johnson. Another poem I really liked was Song of Removal. I felt the differences in dualisms being presented and I love the idea of dualisms, especially if they are being presented in a radical way such as what I would like to call a slam poem. In that regard I think, most of Driskill’s poems could be considered slam poetry. The poems represent struggle, ancestry, queer, and contemporary issues. I highly recommend taking a half hour out of your day and reading this book short book of poems. It will open your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment