Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Driskill vs Harjo

Driskill and Harjo use similar themes in their books/collections of poetry. However, I feel that Driskill has made more of an influence on me. When I read his poetry, I really took my time trying to undercover every little theme/topic/hidden subtleties. Every poem was unique and had all kinds of different references to land, sovereignty, death, sex, environment, play on words, imagery, etc. Don’t get it twisted, Harjo is a good poet also, but I didn’t have the same moving experience. Harjo has a huge collection of poems that range over a variety of Native themes. Each section even has a subtitle to kind of hint about what theme she will be using in each set. She did write about a few different topics like songs, dances, and writes some poetry in the form of stories or tales. Although, this is unique style of writing for me, overall, after reading Driskill’s poetry, I was disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment